Thursday, February 5, 2015

FIGHTING CHRONS DISEASE - MY WELNESS JOURNEY




"Teach everyone around you how to care about you, by how you care for yourself" Elena Bower

My illness crept up on me slowly. It started with little twinges of pain in my belly, to feeling a little more tired than usual. Then the nausea started, the pain after eating and the blood in the bowel movements and then the black cloud of depression came looming over. One day, I woke up and just couldn't get out of bed. I was so sick and so fatigued I couldn't even walk. I would crawl my fragile 47kg body to the bathroom and that was about all the movement I could muster. My husband had to take three days off work to look after our children while I recovered my strength. I was so scared about what was happening to me and I remember ringing my parents in tears, fearful my body was completely failing me.

Eight months later and after many doctors appointments, tests and diet changes I was diagnosed with Chrons Disease. In a way I was relieved. At least now I knew what I was working with and could finally start my road to healing. A week after my diagnosis I flew to Los Angeles to start my new life with my husband and children. For the first month I was here I had very little symptoms and thought perhaps the change of environment was all I needed to kick this thing. Perhaps I wasn't so sick after all. We were in the sunshine, swimming in the sea and spending a lot of time in nature. Life felt good again! Unfortunately, some stress and poor eating led to a bad flare up and I was right back to square one again. I have now gotten to the point where I am unable to manage my life of being a functioning human being, a mother and happy participant of this world so I am having to make some radical changes.

To begin with I am in the early stages of working with an incredible holistic health coach called Jenna Jones. She is supporting me with my wish to treat this disease without medication and head on with a healing diet, yoga, meditation and other holistic remedies. My next step is moving back home to Australia to live with my parents for a month. This is so I can have around the clock support as I get the treatment I need and to have lots of care for my children while this happens. I'm going to miss my husband so much but he fully supports this time away and knows how beneficial this time of rest will be.

So what is Chrons??

Chrons disease is an Inflammatory Bowel Disease that can affect any part of the gastrointestinal tract. It is associated with inflammation of the lining of the GI tract and this is what can lead to flare ups.

Symptoms:

  • Fatigue
  • Frequent diarehhea 
  • Blood and mucus in bowel movements
  • Chronic bloating and gas
  • Constipation
  • Bowel obstruction
  • Nausea
  • Rapid weight loss 
Causes:

  • Immune system problems
  • Genetics
  • Environmental factors
This is what I'm doing now to heal:

I am recording what I eat and how I react to certain foods everyday. I have cut out all nightshades, gluten and wheat, dairy, red meat and caffeine from my diet. I have started a very blood cleansing yoga practice in the mornings and a restorative yoga practice in the evenings. As I write this I am suffering from a flare up so a chicken broth is simmering away on the stove, ready to eat and hopefully soothe my very upset tum. I am also trying to be very kind to my body and to tell it good things like "Hey, those are some good functioning legs you've got going on there. Keep up the good work legs!"

And so my journey begins. I know I have a long road ahead of me but I want to share it with you and reach out to others who may be suffering. I will be trying some pretty quirky alternative ways to deal with Mr Chrons... Sweat Lodges and Reiki are on the agenda!! I hope my story and my stories of recovery to come inspire you to take control of your health issues, deal with emotional traumas and live with a little more bounce your step. 



I would like to leave you with my one of my favorite mantras that will hopefully lead us to work in harmony together while we share and help eachother...

Om Saha Na Vavatu
Saha Nau Bhunaktu
Saha Viryam Karavavahai
Tejasvinavadhitamastu Ma Vidvisavahai
Om Shanti Shanti Shantihi

May God protect us both together
May God nourish us together
May we gain energy to know the truth
May our study together be filled with light
May we not oppose eachother
Om peace peace peace

Astrid xx




No comments:

Post a Comment